Greece’s most traditional and distinctive music style is the “rebetiko”, also known as Greek blues.
Characterized by the sounds of the bouzouki and baglamas, the Greek rembetika are simple songs that express the daily concerns of ordinary people experiencing difficult and often unconventional situations. Most are about such things as love; heartbreak; the struggles involved in living and working in foreign lands; poverty; hashish; etc…
WIth this Omilo eBook (printable version), you will learn more about rembetiko music through listening to a couple of rembetika songs as well as through doing some listening and vocabulary exercises. The eBook is written in English and Greek, and all songs are translated into English. You will also learn some Greek vocabulary while listening to the songs and the included exercises.
By listening to Greek music, you not only improve your Greek, you also get more insight in the Greek culture, mentality, society and history.
The eBook includes:
• a short overview of how the Rembetiko music developed
• which instruments are used
• which composers have had an important influence on Rembetiko.
• short exercises to improve your Greek (including an answer key)
• links so that you can listen to the songs while reading the eBook
Enjoy this beautiful music!